Are you paying too much for DR Storage?

We are in the home stretch of the 2015 Backup 2.0 Technical Workshop, a comprehensive day of data protection education. At the workshop, we provide you with specific designs to meet demands for faster recovery and longer retention. Our sessions are vendor-neutral, educational and fun (yes data protection can be fun).

DR Storage Should not be so Expensive

One of the items we discuss at the workshop is disaster recovery (DR) and how to pay for it. A common mistake that IT professionals make and vendors seem more than willing to let you make is overpaying for DR storage. This is the storage that will be the target of replication jobs. Almost every time I see a vendor quote for this type of storage it is sized to match the capacity of the primary storage system. Why? In the case of a disaster you do not need to recover ALL the data instantly, just the most recent copy of data for only the most critical applications.

In most cases, the size of the DR storage system should be a fraction of the size of the primary storage system. It should have enough capacity to store just the most active data set for just the mission critical applications. The applications that you have identified that need to meet very strict RTO/RPOs (we cover how to identify these applications in the workshop) in the case of a disaster.

Often the size of the mission critical data set is less than 10% of the capacity of the environment. The relative, small size of mission-critical data means the DR site needs a much lower capacity storage system. A disk backup appliance or even tape can be used to restore the remaining 90% of data, again, based on their RPO/RTO. Both of these solutions are far more cost-efficient than storage suitable for receiving replication jobs. The result of these savings allows data centers to reduce, dramatically, the cost of DR, paving the way for a critical element of our protected primary storage design, a second on-site system.

In the data protection workshop, we focus on helping you to develop new models to meet the new recovery demands being placed on IT. These designs include a new way to implement service level agreements, implementing protected storage and leveraging backup storage for more than backups. We end with a discussion on the cloud that cuts through the hype and provides an objective examination of where cloud storage can add value to organizations looking to leverage it for data protection.

We are already planning 2016 with fresh content, so if you want to make sure we come to your city in 2016 leave a comment below.

George Crump is the Chief Marketing Officer of StorONE. Prior to StorONE, George spent almost 14 years as the founder and lead analyst at Storage Switzerland, which StorONE acquired in March of 2020. In his spare time, he continues to write blogs on Storage Switzerland to educate IT professionals on all aspects of data center storage. He is the primary contributor to Storage Switzerland and is a heavily sought-after public speaker. With over 30 years of experience designing storage solutions for data centers across the US, he has seen the birth of such technologies as RAID, NAS, SAN, Virtualization, Cloud, and Enterprise Flash. Prior to founding Storage Switzerland, he was CTO at one of the nation's largest storage integrators where he was in charge of technology testing, integration, and product selection.

Tagged with: , , , , , ,
Posted in Blog
One comment on “Are you paying too much for DR Storage?
  1. Brock Bruner says:

    I would agree that you need only the most critical applications, maybe even SOME Tier2 applications. I would disagree you need only the most recent data set. Prime example: Ransomware. If this gets into your environment and even if you have asynchronous replication of 10 minutes, you could have ‘bad’ data on the far side before you knew what was going on.

Comments are closed.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 21,785 other followers

Blog Stats
%d bloggers like this: