Small to medium sized businesses (SMBs) often lack a good backup and recovery strategy, and often do not realize the difference between archive and disaster recovery. They find quality data protection (DP), data retention and disaster recovery difficult to obtain since they have very limited budgets and lack trained IT personnel. BackupAssist is looking to fill that gap.
The problem is most inexpensive backup solutions that appeal to cost sensitive SMBs may lack key advanced features such as the ability to backup virtual machines (VMs) and various database applications or provide deduplication, compression, strong encryption and cloud support features among others. What SMBs need is a DP solution that provides enterprise class features and functions along with in-depth support, but at a price point that will fit limited budgets.
Enterprise Class DP for SMBs
BackupAssist, which has been around since 2002, offers a robust, scalable and easy to use Windows backup solution with enterprise class DP and DR features at a modest cost, which should appeal to cost sensitive SMBs. BackupAssist also provides ready access to live support technicians trained to help users who may not be very technically knowledgeable.
BackupAssist 10 is modular so you pay only for the feature sets you need. Licensing is per physical host. The base license provides backup of applications, data and systems and Hyper-V hosts and guests. Backups and restores are managed through an easy to use console. Recovery capabilities include customized bare metal restores to the same or dissimilar hardware.
BackupAssist also offers MultiSite Manager for larger customers with multiple offices, so you can remotely manage multiple installations of BackupAssist 10 across your LAN and WAN. MultiSite Manager enables remote deployment, backups, restores, license management and the viewing of detailed reports, alerts and notifications all from a single screen.
BackupAssist 10 can backup both physical and virtual servers running a supported operating system. It also provides deduplication and compression using proprietary, optimized deduplication and compression algorithms to provide a high degree of compression while also maintaining high performance.
Additional add-on licenses are:
- Exchange Granular – Allows you to choose from multiple backup types to restore and entire Exchange server or individual mail items.
- Hyper-V Advanced – Provides comprehensive Hyper-V protection solutions for hosts, guests and CSV environments. Also provides rapid VM recovery for quick spin up of Hyper-V guests running supported operating systems.
- SQL Continuous – Provides database protection solutions for SQL servers, including transactional level backups and granular restores.
- Cloud Backup – Backup to AWS and Azure public cloud, and private cloud with Rsync.
- Tape Archiving – Backup to stand alone tape drives to create long term file archives.
- BackupAssist Multisite Manager – Allow you to update BackupAssist installations across multiple sites and manage licenses for all machines. Also provides access to reports and alerts status of each backup job. Additionally you can customize and configure email reports.
- Cloud Backup Standalone – allows you to backup your data directly to public or private cloud, with no local backup.
Backing up Virtual Servers
Where virtual servers are concerned, BackupAssist 10 provides host-level backups as well as the ability to perform guest-only backups run from the Hyper-V host level. It can also perform image or file level backups of virtual environments. BackupAssist 10 utilizes VSS for live backups of virtual servers.
BackupAssist 10 provides support for VMware at the VM level when running a supported operating system.
BackupAssist 10 provides a unique, military grade, fully insulated encryption feature which is an end-to-end client-side, non-convergent encryption. Each customer’s data is essentially “containerized” and completely separated from any other customer’s data. This also addresses the big issue of, “who controls the encryption keys.” In this manner, the data is securely encrypted on the client side before it leaves the premises and only the organization controls the keys. The data remains encrypted during transit and at rest regardless of the location.
BackupAssist 10 base license costs USD $279.00 per physical host. The add-on licenses for advanced features range from USD $129.00 to $249.00.
BackupAssist 10 provides enterprise class features and performance normally found in more expensive and complex DP solutions. Its features and options make it simple to deploy and manage which make backups fast and stress free. It also works with a wide range of storage targets including the cloud and tape. The package includes various templates for different backup, archive and recovery operations. These can be customized as needed or users can create their own custom templates.
It’s rich feature set and low cost factors make it a solution any SMB interested in protecting their data properly should seriously consider.