2014 was a big year at StorageSwiss.com. Thanks to our readers we saw record traffic to the site. As we close out each year, it’s interesting to review the top-read articles. In 2014’s list you’ll see two common themes, flash and backup, among the over 800 blogs, articles, podcasts and videos we published.
The first theme, flash, probably comes as no surprise. Like the industry overall, our readers have performance challenges and are looking at flash to solve them. But you’ll notice by the titles in this list that being smart in how to apply flash is a primary driver as IT professionals look for ways to use their organization’s money wisely.
The second theme, backup, is a bit more surprising. In 2014 we returned to the basics, making sure our readers understood what the objectives of their data protection process were and more importantly provided them with new ways to meet them. Make no mistake, as applications scale, their protection becomes even more important.
The Countdown 15-11:
15. “Designing Enterprise-class Multi-Tenant Storage” – Multi-tenant storage is a trend that has always been on the minds of our readers. Frankly we probably don’t write about it enough, but every time we do it is a top-read article. This article was unique in that it looked at how multi-tenant storage could be designed to meet enterprise expectations.
14. “How Do I Know My Virtual Environment is Ready For SSD?” – This is an example of the type of flash knowledge our readers are after. Before even deciding what type of flash storage they wanted, they first wanted to know for sure they needed it. This article helped readers figure that out.
13. “Scale Out or Scale Up? 6 Key Considerations for the Flash Array Buyer” – Our 13th most read article for 2014 actually launched in 2013 and started a hot debate about scale out vs. scale up in the industry, making it one of our most commented upon articles as well.
12. “The Storage Architect and The DBA” was another article that advised against simply throwing flash storage at the problem. Instead it focused on how to understand various database performance issues and how to resolve them, with or without flash.
11. “StorageSwiss Take on the HDS Acquisition of Sepaton” is the first real opinion piece to make our list. In it we discussed the HDS acquisition of Sepaton and provided some unsolicited advice on what they should do.
Enjoy reading or rereading the above and tomorrow we will countdown 10 through 6 on our top read articles list.